Sunday, October 5, 2008

Daphne Odjig

I watched a documentary about a Canadian artist named Daphne Odjig yesterday on the Aboriginal Peoples Television Network and I was so moved by her art that I did some additional research about her life and the art that she has created over the years. Interestingly, she has spent a great deal of her life living in and depicting images of British Columbia and currently resides in Anglemont which is located in the North Shuswap. This link will provide you with some biographical information about Odjig that I think will help you get a sense of "where she is coming from" in relation to the art that she creates: http://www.bearclawgallery.com/Artists.aspx?ArtistID=25. A lot of her art work is abstract and in the interview that I saw on APTN she talked about Picasso being an inspiration to her because he always painted in the way that he wanted to.

I chose to post the above painting of Odjig's because it is one that she talked about on the documentary and one that I felt a personal connection to. I am not sure what the art painting is called because it does not say on the site that I found it on: http://images.google.ca/images?um=1&hl=en&q=+site:www.civilization.ca+daphne+odjig+bc+paintings and I could not find it when I searched for it on the civilization website. This is a painting in which Odjig depicted her and her family swimming out at the water hole. This painting represents her family and the special times that they shared together and I can really relate to this piece because it reminds me of how important my family is to me and reminds of the great times that me and my own family have had swimming together at the lake and community swimming pool. I could not find one website that solely concentrated on all of Odjig's artwork, but there are many images online if you google Odjig's name. I hope you enjoy her artwork as much as I do!

2 comments:

Casey said...

Daphne Odjig is one of my favourite First Nations artist. I did a research paper on her for my FNST 498 course on Indigenous Women Artists. To learn about her, you should read her biography from UVIC, you can request it through interlibrary loans. It is an amazing book. Another book you should read is EXPOSED from UNBC library.

Christine said...

I also really like this artist - we actually have a piece of her artwork in our dinning room! The name of the art is 'Pow Wow'.