Wednesday, September 24, 2008


I really enjoyed the workshop when we learned about positive and negative images ... thanks Leisbet for being so patient as you explained and re-explained this concept to me. While I did learn a great deal about the visual art that we were creating, I especially enjoyed the collaborative learning that was going on. Trevor gave me a great idea as to how I could adapt the art project to fit with the unit that I will be teaching to a grade seven class about Ancient Egypt. Willow's idea about using this art piece as a backdrop on a bulletin board was a great idea because it allows students to design the bulletin board themselves. After all of the art work is tacked onto the bulletin board, I would allow the students to admire their work for about a week before attaching new art work over top of it. The chalk colors that I chose to use when I created my Ancient Egyptian art piece were light so I had to adjust the contrast after I scanned it so that the images would show up better. I drew three different sized pyramids, the Nile river, and a Cartouche to display my positive and negative images.

1 comment:

Willow Brown said...

My favourite part of teaching this course is seeing what creative applications people come up with for simple ideas. Your stencilled chalk rubbing is beatiful and suits the Egypt theme. I like that three images are repeated in a seemingly random pattern. Extensions and adaptations occur when teaching strategies take on a life of their own!