Monday, November 10, 2008

Ancient Egypt God/Goddessess Bulletin Board

Here is a picture of my first bulletin board creation. I had the opportunity to introduce the Jigsaw Approach to Grade 7s and work with the school Librarian to create lessons in which students would conduct reasearch about a particular Ancient Egyptian God/Goddess and then share their expertise with their home group. A student in the class gave me the idea to create a bulletin board representing the Nile River in the middle, the Fertile Lands on either side of the river and the Desert on the outside. I think that it turned out really well given that the greatest creation is the student work covering it.


2 comments:

Jenna said...

This looks awesome Sherri. I'm impressed. Even better that the students were asking for it. Did the students enjoy the jigsaw strategy?

Sherri said...

The students did enjoy the jigsaw strategy. Despite the fact that each student only researched one god/goddess, they all ended up learning about six god/goddesses after working in their home groups. I think that it was effective for the students to work in the library for these lessons because it provided them with on-hand resources, large tables to work at, and space to spread out. I also created a chart that outlined each home and expert group to make it easier for students to understand the approach.