Friday, November 7, 2008

The Art that I created at the Workshop

This is a picture of a Mother Bear and Cub that I drew at the workshop (keeping in mind that the outline was already created) but I did have to add to the outline and draw formlines, ovoids, split u shapes and then color in the picture using red and black pencil crayons afterwards. The picture took approximately two hours to draw and two and a half hours to color. It is a very time consuming art project and one that elementary students would need a great deal of time to work on but in the end it would be well worth it!



7 comments:

Nicola said...

Sherri - your finished work looks sharp. Though I must admit, your claws are still what attracts my attention. You can see the power and the gentleness of the momma bear.

Sherri said...

Thanks Nicola! I can't wait to see your finished product. You should share the "Learning by Design: Pacific Northwest Coast Native Indian Art" resource book that you showed me with the rest of the class as I am sure that they will appreciate it as much as I did. Thanks again!

Leisbet Beaudry said...

Wow Sherri
Your art looks great, and you learned this in a one-day workshop. I like how you used the traditional colours and shapes. Can you see using this activity in the classroom?

Sherri said...

Thanks Leisbet! I learned this in a three hour workshop. Peter George is really a great teacher. If you ever work at a school that has money in the budget for Aboriginal Art, Peter George teaches Art Workshops in the schools but he does charge a fee. Unfortunately I would not be able to use this exact art form in the classroom because of copyright laws but Nicola has a great book (see in above comment) that provides an overview of the art forms and techniques used by a number of nations across the Northwest Coast. Students could be introduced to the techniques, but they would have to create their own art work. I think that this would be a great art project to introduce to students. It would be especially great if you could have Peter George come into the classroom and teach it to your students. He also teaches a workshop where each student makes his/her own drum and then draws and paints the art work onto it, but I would imagine that it would be quite expensive.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Sherri! What was the workshop called? I've been thinking about how to incorporate Aboriginal art into the classroom but I just don't know what I'm doing so a workshop sounds fantastic!

Sherri said...

I think that it was just called the Peter George Workshop. You could probably contact the Art Gallery to see if he plans on organizing any more workshops in the near future. I also have his business card if you want to contact him via email. I will bring it to class.

Anonymous said...

Sherri this art piece you did is amazing! Looks absolutely stunning! I remember one year my volunteer teacher in Abbotsford had a First Nations artist come in to teach the children in the classroom how to draw a frog in his First Nations style of art. It was a wonderful experience for the Grade 1/2s and they just loved it!